Is there anything as amazing as tomatoes in season? I’ve professed my love for this humble red blob more than once, but seriously. They’re so good!
Right now, of course, anyone with tomato plants has them coming out their ears. I am not one of those lucky people, so I’m forced to scavenge them off others like my mother & co-workers. The last time I was home, I snagged a bunch from the pile sitting on the counter (she didn’t even notice) for the exact purpose of making stuffed tomatoes.
This is the magic that went on in my kitchen:
Tomatoes (the filling was enough for 8 romas & 1 large… other one. I’ve no idea which variety.)
1 package cream cheese, softened
4 slices perfectly cooked & crispy bacon, crumbled
chives, spinach, & fresh basil, chopped into little pieces (I used scissors to snip them up fine)
small handful of colby jack cheese
1) Preheat your oven to 300°.
2) Chop the tops off your tomatoes.
3) Carefully scoop out the insides. I used an iced tea spoon. If they split a bit, it’s okay! They taste the same.
5) Mix together all other ingredients. I added chives & basil, & then spinach until I reached a taste & consistency I wanted. Before I stuffed it inside, it looked like this…
…which would totally make a delicious dip for your next party. Just a thought!
6) Carefully stuff the filling inside, using both the iced tea spoon & your fingers. I let it spill out the top a little bit, but you certainly wouldn’t have to.
7) Bake 20-30 minutes on a foil-lined cookie sheet, or until heated through & tomatoes are slightly cooked. To be fair, there’s no reason to cook this, but I did anyways.
Serve immediately, or refridgerate for up to a week. Mine only made it a few days – I’ve been enjoying them for breakfast, lunch, & dinner, just heating them in the microwave for about 45 seconds. Delicious!