Mmm – chicken parmesan. Sad thing is, a month or two before I gave up wheat, I learned how to make a totally rockin’ chicken parmesan. It was a long process that involved a lot of ingredients, but WOW, was it tasty. I bid it adieu in January 2010 & moved on to other things, but then I stumbled upon a flour-less chicken parm recipe in the surprisingly primal-friendly cookbook Eat Fresh Food: Awesome Recipes for Teen Chefs. It’s quick & easy, has only a few ingredients, & best of all, really tasty. Although not all the recipes in the cookbook are gluten-free, the emphasis on fresh food cooked simply is pretty rad. I didn’t follow the recipe exactly (do I ever?), but it was definitely inspiring.
I don’t think I’ll ever understand the hate towards boneless, skinless chicken breast. If money is tight & conventional chicken is all you’ve got, this is totally the way to go. & if you cook it right, it’ll be nice & juicy. At least mine always are.
Anyways! Let’s get this yummy recipe started!
Quick & Easy Chicken Parmesan
What you need:
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- about a cup of parmesan cheese (the best quality you can afford)
- salt, herbs & spices to your liking*
- olive oil
- tomato puree (or whatever tomato sauce you have lying around)
*I tend to use oregano, basil, tarragon, parsley, sage, & rosemary for everything of the Italian persuasion.
How to do it:
- Drizzle some olive oil on a hot griddle.
- Throw the parmesan cheese, a bit of salt, & whatever Italian herbs you feel like using into a bowl. Mix it altogether, then place on a plate or in a bag. Dredge the chicken in the parmesan mixture. You don’t need to add anything to the chicken; it’ll stick right onto the meat as is!
- Place the chicken on the griddle & let it get crisp on the outside, as shown below.
- Once it’s nice & crisp on the outside, transfer to an oven-safe dish that’s been drizzled with a bit of olive oil. Spoon some sauce over top, then sprinkle any leftover parmesan mixture on top.
- Bake at 350° for about ten minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through!
Serve with a salad, some steamed veggies, or the pasta alternative of your choice. Enjoy!